A former school building in Canterbury was one of the highlights of the Clive Emson Land and Property Auctioneers summer auction – selling for £850,000 after a bidding war.
A host of builders and developers clambered for the old St Christopher’s Independent Day School, which closed last year after nearly 100 years, and drove the price well above guide.
The property, including a large area of car parking, is considered to have potential for conversion or development, subject to all necessary consents being obtainable.
The school was just one of many sales as Clive Emson reporting sales of £19 million from the auction – the fifth of eight sales this year which took place across five days in five venues from July 22-26.
Britain’s largest independent regional land and property auctioneer achieved a sale rate of 70 per cent at the sale after cataloguing 125 lots.
Managing Director James Emson said: “The sale of the former school is a perfect example of how our auction provides the optimum circumstances for both vendor and purchaser to achieve a great deal.
“With such a vast range of properties and land available in one place there is every opportunity for buyers to find that perfect lot – and sellers know that our packed salerooms are conducive to successful outcomes.
“We hope everyone enjoys a wonderful summer and a well-deserved break this August – as our teams continue to work hard to prepare the catalogue for the next sale, beginning on September 9.”
Other highlights of the July auction included:
- The double-fronted Old Post Office at Porthallow, Cornwall, needing refurbishment/modernisation but just 100 metres from the beach, with a ground floor commercial unit and three-bedroom maisonette, went for £174,000 freehold.
- The vacant 60-bedroom seafront Esplanade Hotel in Sandown on the Isle of Wight was sold for £750,000 in a bidding war. The hotel, an amalgam of five Victorian residences, requires significant upgrading and refurbishment.
- Twelve acres of grazing land in two adjoining parcels on the outskirts of Frant, near Wadhurst, Sussex – let at £6,300 per annum – went under the gavel at £159,000.
- A detached six bedroom house needing improvement near Stanford-le-Hope, Essex, once accommodation for adults and children with disabilities, was sold for £388,000 freehold after strong bidding.
The firm holds a regional auction at five locations every six weeks. The sixth sale of 2019, starting at 11am, is at the following venues:
Essex & North and East London – Monday, September 9 at the Chelmsford City Racecourse, Chelmsford.
Kent & SE London – Tuesday, September 10 at the Clive Emson Conference Centre, Detling, Maidstone, Kent.
Sussex & Surrey – Wednesday, September 11 at the Hilton Brighton Metropole, Brighton.
West Country – Thursday, September 12, at the St Mellion International Resort, Saltash.
Hampshire & Isle of Wight – Friday, September 13 at the Solent Hotel at Whiteley, near Fareham.
Clive Emson also stages a fixed date, online only auction. The next one concludes on September 19. Full details can be found at www.cliveemson.co.uk.
- Clive Emson Auctioneers has 50 staff and is a property and land auctioneer to estate agents, commercial property agents, statutory bodies and private clients. It was established by namesake founder and Chairman Clive Emson in 1989, and holds eight auctions a year across five venues.
The firm’s reach is across southern England, from Kent to Cornwall and now Essex and North and East London too with a new office in Chelmsford and it is one of the top four auctioneers in the UK by way of value and volume of residential sales.
Lots regularly generate newsworthy stories, from nuclear bunkers and sea forts to churches, clubs, pubs, former public toilets and historic properties, as well as the more usual homes under the hammer and which are often of keen interest to local residents. A number of newspapers utilise the news releases to run as ‘What’s Happening Here?’ columns.
Website: www.cliveemson.co.uk Tel: 0345 8500333.
- News release issued by:
Cliff Moore, Account Director
Deep South Media
Deep South Media is the 24/7 press office, multi-media content provider to 50 companies and organisations.