How maritime companies can sail towards content success

PLAIN SAILING: How maritime companies can sail towards content success

Deep South Media intern Sophie Godfrey-Phaure has carried out meticulous research into the profile of maritime companies online. Read Sophie’s findings in her report below – essential reading for anyone operating in the marine and maritime sector.

 

NEARLY 160 maritime companies in Great Britain are failing to grasp the nettle with news content on their websites, it has emerged.

Deep South Media’s detailed research of nearly 300 businesses in the £13.5 billion maritime sector showed that only 137 companies – just over 46% – have a strong content presence.

Good content matters because Google, which carries the vast majority of UK online traffic, rewards companies with higher search engine rankings if they publish interesting, informative and unique news about themselves.

According to Andrey Lipattsev, a search quality senior strategist at Google, high-quality content and link-building are the two most important signals used by the technology giant to rank your website for search.

Research by Deep South Media shows:

  • Of the 295 businesses looked at, 158 of them had no news section or news releases that were up to five years out of date.
  • Of those 158 businesses, 86 had no news section.
  • There are 137 businesses that have high-quality news sections.

Staffed by 11 news professionals, Deep South Media is the UK specialist in press office services for companies and works for a number of clients in the maritime sector.

Ron Wain, the managing director at Deep South Media, said: “Our unique industry research shows that nearly 160 maritime companies have not grasped the nettle when it comes to news content on their websites.

“Of those looked at, 86 didn’t even have a news section, which means they are missing out on a key marketing tool.

“Content marketing should be at the forefront of every business’ marketing strategy. More than 80% of Google searches are informational and this indicates users are consistently searching for a specific topic or fact.”

A website that lacks consistent, fresh and engaging written content will be regarded as obsolete and stale on any search engine, which will leave the website and business at a complete disadvantage and digitally undiscoverable.

Maritime

Statistics have also shown that search engine optimisation, which is generated by strong ‘content’, is reportedly more valuable to businesses than pay per click – only 6% of Google users click on online ads, with the other 94% preferring organic search results.

According to official figures, the UK maritime sector directly contributes around £13.5 billion to national output, otherwise known as GDP, and supports more than 110,000 jobs.

For more details contact Deep South Media’s maritime expert James Tourgout on 07827 806400 and james.tourgout@deepsouthmedia.co.uk.